This story is a Mentor Text... We take the writing style of an author and make it our own. This story is based on the story "When I was young in the Mountains"
When I was young, I would visit the town of Aleman
When I was young, I would visit the town of Aleman, I remember spending many days and nights with my grandma and grandpa. Grandma would be busily working in the kitchen or around the house. And grandpa would be sitting in his recliner watching price is right. I remember climbing up into grandpas lap as he watched his favorite show as the aroma of grandma’s home cooked chicken strips teased my tummy as saying “come eat me.”
When I was young, I would visit the town of Aleman, I remember spending the days cooking with my grandma in the kitchen. We would can peaches and make homemade pickles. She even trusted me with her oatmeal cookie recipe. All of my family and friends loved when grandma Sommerfeld made homemade oatmeal cookies. She would even put fresh pecans in them just for me, because they were my favorite.
When I was young, I would visit the town of Aleman, I remember spending my days working on projects with my grandpa in the chicken house. He loved to build things and he was always had a project that he was working on in the chicken house aka, “his shop”. I remember going into the back of the chicken house and it was full of old tools and crafts my grandpa had made.
When I was young, I would visit the town of Aleman I remember walking up the lane as we called it but it was really just a road and visiting Mr. and Mrs. Herriot. I loved going and visiting them Mrs. Herriot would always have cookies waiting for me. She also tried to teach me how to croshee. My grandmother always wanted to me learn how to croshea because she lever learned and wish she would have, so I would spend time with Mrs. Herriot who was great at it, but never learned how to do more than just a chain.
When I was young, I would visit the town of Aleman, I remember once a year all of my uncles would gather at my grandparents’ house and they would slaughter a hog and make sausage from the deer they had killed that year. I will never forget them explain to me how to make head sausage. Now that’s just gross! But they would make regular sausage too, thankfully!
When I was young, I would visit the town of Aleman, I remember my grandmother having the BEST gardens. She would have rows and rows of fresh vegetables. Every day during the summer we would go out to the garden and pick fresh vegetables for lunch. She would then, stew, fry, bake, or boil whatever we had chosen. Who knew a kid would learn to LOVE spinach.
When I was young, I would visit the town of Aleman, I remember I had a pretend school house set up in the middle bed room. This is where I would play both student and teacher. In the mornings, Grandma would make me do spelling, reading and writing worksheets. So in the afternoon I would pretend that I was the teacher and those are the papers that I had to grade setting at my desk. I had a chalkboard and everything!
When I was young, I would visit the town of Aleman, I remember how much my grandma and grandpa loved me! I always thought (and still do) that I was their favorite. I was the youngest of thirteen grandchildren and spent many hour and days at grandma and grandpas. I would cook, clean and sew with grandma, and I would watch TV, and play with grandpa. I loved my grandma and grandpa very very much!
When I was young, I would visit the town of Aleman, I remember I never wanted to go to the ocean. I never wanted to go to the desert. I never wanted to go anywhere else in the world, for I was in Aleman and that was always enough.