Sunday, February 6, 2011
The Giant National Geographic Map of South America
This semester is my last semester of school (for the second time haha) and I have a unique opportunity to be apart of the leadership team for the National Geographic Giant Map of South America. This means I will travel to rural schools in the West Texas Eastern New Mexico Region and bring this Giant Interactive map to them. We have several lesson that we can do on the map and it is an interactive way to teach geography. This week was the first week for me to be able to work on the map and it was so much fun. It arrive on Monday, After work I went up to Tech to practice my lessons on the 21' x 36' Map. The whole time I thought as an adult I am having so much fun, I can only imagine as a child how this would take learning into another perspective! Tuesday was a snow day and I was able to work with it on Thursday too. Showing mainly adults this week how the tributaries of the Amazon River flow to the Atlantic ocean and not the pacific ocean because of the Andes Mountains and how because of the panama canal you can "swim" all the way around South America with out touching land. Another cool lesson is using Lego's to represent a million people and using those to chart how many people live in the major cities in the country, then where are most of the people living. It is so unique and I am so very blessed to be apart of it. :) I'll keep you up to date on the travels of the Giant Map of South America! :)